Pay Attention

While catching up on my RSS feeds I came across this from Paul Wilkinson. He began by introducing this video with this

Maybe we should change the one laptop per child project to the one cell phone per child? Might get there faster!

But then added,

Actually Now that I’ve watched this twice. I’m not sure I’m convinced. I’ll have to muse on this a bit more but something just doesn’t sit right with me. What about you? What are your thoughts? Is this inevitable? Desirable? Missing something?

Now I’m not sure if I can embed a Teacher Tube video here, so here is the url anyway. I found a You Tube version on the T4-Pay attention website where there are also links to many of the ideas mentioned in the video and other useful resources.

The You Tube blurb reads: Since most of today’s students can appropriately be labeled as “Digital Learners”, why do so many teachers refuse to enter the digital age with their teaching practices?
This presentation was created in an effort to motivate teachers to more effectively use technology in their teaching.

[youtube]aEFKfXiCbLw[/youtube]

I have only watched snippets of this as it is taking forever to load so I’m now downloading in the hope that I will to see it properly. From my few snippets it appears to be a Did You Know type scenario. I will add comments here after I’ve had a proper look.

It’s now well after midnight and I’ve watched the video without interruption and I really liked it. It certainly has a message but the message is aimed at those who aren’t integrating web2.0 tools and ideas into their current teaching and learning programmes. The author has made good use of quotes, thinking skills, etc to support the ideas presented. It’s certainly worth a look.

Whether it’s totally the way schools will go, I’m not sure. The whole acceptance of cellphones in a school setting is a debate in itself, let alone i-pods and the like. They bring with them further issues regarding appropriate use, care and security…. But it will happen especially in the forward thinking schools.

BTW Weley Fryer has a new post, Embrace the constructive uses of cell phones in the classroom for learning, which makes interesting reading. Here is a quote from his article,

We need teachers in our classrooms who are willing to take on the challenges of “wicked teaching” with technology, rather than those who prefer the easy road of pulling out overhead transparencies which have been “working” with kids for the last 10 to 20 years. Readers of this blog are more likely to fall into the first group, but working as I do in “the real world” of K-12 education away from the bells, whistles and magic of educational technology conferences, I know there are PLENTY of teachers in the latter group who do and will likely continue to balk at the suggestion they should find ways to use cell phones (or other types of digital technologies) with students for instructional and learning purposes.

I can only wonder at how long or if ever school administrators will see teaching in the same light as Wes.

One thought on “Pay Attention

1. Pingback: Moving at the Speed of Creativity » 2007 » April » 10